Translate

Chitika 1

Chitika 2

AddToAny Share Plugin

Infolinks

Tuesday, 30 December 2014


 I still don’t know why I fell in love with my wife – Righteousman Erabor



Righteousman Erabo


Gospel singer, Righteousman Erabo is one person who is very sad about the state of the music industry right now. He is deeply disturbed that the soci­ety prefers secular music to Christian music. He is miffed that companies favour secular artistes for celebrity endorsement of their brands. In this interview he bares his mind on this and reveals how he has safeguard­ed his marriage and kept it from hitting the rocks.

Excerpts…
What project are you currently working on?
I have so many projects at hand. I am cur­rently the President of Praise Affairs Inter­national and I aIso preside over a movement called Tongues of Unity. I am in partnership with Now Musik. We are working on Save Nigeria Project. We all know the situation of things in our beloved country. People are being bombed daily and children are slaugh­tered like chickens. We should not be smil­ing about it, even if it isn’t raining in this part of Nigeria, but for the fact that it is raining in the north and this rain can change direction any sooner. The song, No, isn’t just a song. It is a song that documents the conscience of the nation, and it is the responsibility of all entertainers to speak one voice, the voice of the common man.
So the song ‘No’ featured 60 artistes. You had people like Tuface, Pasuma, Buchi, Sound Sultan, Daddy Showkey, Dele Taiwo, Terry G, African China, Carol Cece, Keppy Ekpeyong, Osita Iheme, Sunny Neji and so many others. They all keyed into it and it is all about saying ‘No’ to terrorism, corrup­tion, rigging etc. Another serious project is the media tour of Awesome, a single from Carol Cece, one of the artistes of Praise Af­fairs International artiste, whose video is gaining massive airplay in the country and the Web.
Which of these particular cri­ses really inspired you to do that?
When those four guys were burnt in Aluu community, Rivers State, I wept all through the night. Man-to-man is so unjust. It was a sad experience that can never be erased from my heart. I am an advocate of love, peace and justice but there can never be peace until there is justice in the land.
What does it take to be success­ful as a gospel artist? Any tips…?
For me, the grace of God is number one then quality, distinction, integrity and humil­ity.
How was your growing up?
My growing up was beautiful, both the positive and negative vibes brought about the light that is shining today. I knew what I wanted, my direction and goals as a little child.
Though, I was the opposite of my name. Gangsterism was the game, but I never gave up my purpose in life. I was focused and the grace of God prevailed. Like in one of my songs I would have been dead but HE SAVED ME.
Was there at any time when you thought about pulling out from the industry?
I have been paying dues and still paying till date. There was no time I ever thought of withdrawing from the music industry, because music has always been my life. If you want to kill me take music away from me. I started playing music at a very young age, mastering the guitar when I was 14 years old, appearing on NTA Benin music panorama at age 16. I knew at that time that I was not game for white-collar jobs. A lot of water passed under the bridge; it was like using fire to refine gold but music made me stronger. There was never a time I thought of quitting music for any reason.
When was your turning point in music?
My turning point was when I met pop icon-turned-pastor, Felix Lebarty, who signed me on his Liberty Records label. He is the one God used, who brought the ladder in 1990 that I am still climbing on till date.
What were the challenges you encountered?
Life itself is challenging. David who killed Goliath didn’t get to the throne immediately; he still had to pay his dues. So I see challeng­es as the ladder of life. You can’t run through it but walking carefully and prayerfully. I can’t start counting my encounters; instead I count my blessings.
What is the source of your in­spiration?
I get my inspiration from God and things I hear or see around me. My choice of mu­sic has never been displeasing to God. I was conscious, inspirational and motivational, but the choice of brand is from Bob Marley, Steel Purse and Fellowman.
What made you to move from secular to gospel music?
I never for once changed my style of mu­sic; even I didn’t change my content. I have always been a preacher. What I changed was my lifestyle. Change is one thing that is constant in life. It will surprise a lot of peo­ple to know that when I recorded the song (Who that man?) I was not the Righteous Man of today but a month later things began to change. It is the present life that is reflect­ing in my music today as a gospel artiste. I was like a banker who counts people’s mon­ey in millions and does not have millions in his own account.
I know the name Jesus; I sing about Him but do not have Him in my life. That was the difference between my secular life and gos­pel life, it’s a life transformation not music per say.
How do you see the future of gospel music?
Great. Things are changing fast; platforms are being created, not waiting for God to bless us with bread but bless our bread. At least last year I was on MTN Load in Naija tour as a gospel artiste, first in the history of Nigeria. So, expect more great openings. The future is very pregnant.
As a gospel artiste, do you go to clubs to have fun?
That depends on what you call club. If you are talking about nude (strippers) club, I can’t go there because I don’t have that calling, and you know people are called into different ministries. My wife and I attend events done in clubs and music premieres and so forth, but if it’s the other way round, my answer is capital NO.
What is your philosophy of life?
The only way forward is forward.
What is your advice to those who look up to you?
My advice to those who look up to me is to warn them not to look up to me, but look up to God.
You have been in the indus­try for ages now, what has been your most embarrassing mo­ment?
It is so embarrassing to record a song with the feeling that it would be the next big thing. It is passion that keeps us going.
What naughty thing have you ever done?
I was a very stubborn youth, and I did a lot of things of which I can’t even remember.
Many young men find it dif­ficult to find wives. Now using yours as a case study, did you go through prayers before finding your wife?
No, I didn’t pray. I made lots of mistakes but the only thing God did was to convert my mistakes to miracles. God doesn’t give anybody a wife these days because of the experience with Adam, in the scripture. God says, ‘He that finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favour from God.’ So, it is left for man to go find his own wife. I went for my friend, I got married to my best friend and I am enjoying every bit of it and God is bless­ing our union on daily basis.
Who is your mentor?
Jesus Christ is my all in all.
How did you meet your wife?
We met in a recording studio. My backup singer who happened to be her best friend brought her to the studio. She is the best gift from God to me.
Ask and it shall be given but you need to knock and seek. It is a process that should be followed squarely. So I followed mine diligently.
What attracted you to her?
It is a difficult question; it is hard for me to tell you categorically what made me fall in love with her. Many people set standards and parameters and in doing that, you will love that person only when that thing is pre­sent and when it expires, you will lose your love.
You might even end up falling in love with all those who have the same characteristics. So, I don’t really know what made me fall in love with her. Maybe that is why I am still stuck to her.
How do you handle female ad­mirers? Where do you draw the line?
It takes the grace of God not because one is super human; it is what your heart desires that you will always attract to yourself but God has been faithful.
How have you been able to manage your marriage and keep it from failing as has become common among celebrities?
I am a favoured man; everything revolves around me. I have an understanding fam­ily that loves what I do, and we also have friends and people who love what we do and support us. The most beautiful of all is that I have my studio in my house; so I don’t really leave the house except for events, lo­cation and church.
You have been able to sustain your marriage very well. What advice can you give to celebrities who are going into marriage?
I am still counting; keeping relationship is not about the years involved. We see people that broke-up after 40 years; some others are in the marital union, but aren’t in the marriage: they are just tolerating each other. How long can you tolerate someone that you intend to spend the rest of your life with? Marriage should not be built on toler­ance; I can only tolerate my friends because they come and go.
My wife and I correct each other rather tolerate our errors. My advice is that you shouldn’t learn to tolerate because as a hu­man, you can only tolerate for a short period. You don’t manage a life support machine.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015. OIT BLOG - All Rights Reserved
Proudly Designed By Obhiaba Blog